Friday, October 15, 2010

Bloatware and sequential monopoly

Android giants: Follow Apple’s lead and ban the bloatware | Electricpig

The result of serial monopoly, higher prices and lower quantity is well known. A specific instance of sequential monopoly is particularly annoying to me now, that of cell phone networks loading up Android phones with a bung of cluttering software that is either difficult or impossible to remove. Doing so is the equivalent of raising the price, by reducing the quality of the phone. I might even be willing to pay a few dollars to not have the NASCAR or Facebook apps always staring me in the face. I can't wait until we have the option of using the phone of our choosing on a dumb pipe, as we do with our PCs over the internet. Login to your account using whatever device you want and go to town. At this point, what difference does it make if the device is a PC or a smart phone. All devices are on a continuum with overlapping features etc. Goolgle, please add a dumb pipe service to my Google account!!! I will talk over Google voice, surf to my hearts content, and promise to click on on one Adword link per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment