Tuesday, October 11, 2011

PROPOSED LIST OF DEMANDS

Finally something concrete and many objectives are shockingly sane. The implementation of many would be near impossible, but despite my negative appraisal of the protesters I must admit this list could be a lot worse.

1. On reinstating Glase -Steagall: I'm not an expert, but the division between investment banking and and commercial banks might impose risk limits and less moral hazard.

2. I agree that white collar criminals get off way to easy. Caught with a rock crack and spend years; caught bilking millions and get a suspended sentence.

3. Limiting corporate money in elections is also complicated with the First Amendment inconvenience. I also wish to do away with crony capitalism, but am not sure limiting election funding is the way. Maybe a daily sweetheart deal that is widely distributed and always embarrassing. Light might disinfect.

4. Soak the rich: I think many of the unintended consequences are true: less money to invest, lower rates of investment, lower motivation to work hard, bitterness of those who might work hard, etc.

5. Revamp SEC: How? Fire everyone? No longer support the public sector union? Pay private sector wages? Eliminate regulatory capture? Dream on. I wish they could do better, but...

6. Limitting Lobbyest's influence. Great, but good luck.

7. Lobbyists' revolving door: I'm in favor of elimination, but how?

8. Corporate person status: I'm not an expert, but I find this unlikely to be a major problem I think big business would be almost unfeasible without limited liability of shareholders and managers. I'm also pretty sure we want big businesses.

PROPOSED LIST OF DEMANDS (please help edit/add so this can be submitted for consideration to those maintaining the official list) | OccupyWallSt.org Forum:

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment