Saturday, December 18, 2010

Asperger Update

I still think that my father, brother, and I all suffer from the syndrome.  My father thinks not, that instead we just have the symptoms.  Whatever makes you feel better, I guess.  I have not brought it up to my brother, because we don't have much of a relationship, so I'll just follow the prime directive.

The main change accepting my affliction has caused is greater humility regarding estimates of how others will respond to stimuli, such as advertising messages.  Oddly, I am involved in marketing for my company.  I also write columns with financial advisors as the primary audience.  An aspergian is not likely to be a successful advisor because managing clients' emotions is the primary duty.  Overall I'm glad to have finally figured it out, maybe.

Knowing has removed my incentive to write because I am unable to "know my audience" thus my performance is limited to conveying dry information, which is rather disheartening.  In the sense that I used to see fewer limits to my performance, ignorance was bliss.  Writing clearly and concisely used to be a point of pride and I thought stylistically preferable to wordy pros clogged with unsubstantiated adjectives.  It still is to me, but I am not my audience.  How so normal people perceive words on a page, redundant conversation, facial expressions, body language, etc. differently.  Any suggestions for how I might understand?  Analogies, simulations, anything is welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment